A Matter of Facts
- By 2030, the number of licensed drivers aged 60 and older is expected to nearly double to about 57 million.
- Roughly 90% of personal trips by people 60 and older are taken in an automobile, either as drivers or passengers.
- More than half of non-drivers 60 or older stay home on any given day partially because they lack transportation options.
- Compared with those who still drive, older non-drivers make 15% fewer trips to the doctor, 59% fewer shopping trips and visits to restaurants, and 65% fewer trips for social, family and religious activities.
- Drivers ages 80 and older have higher crash death rates than all but teen drivers.
- By 2020, more than 18,000 seniors will die in their cars each year.